Welcome to Week 1, 2020. It has been my absolute pleasure to be working with the staff and meeting the students at Hennessy over the past few days. Although I am new to this role, I can already see that Hennessy is very fortunate to have such highly skilled and dedicated staff who go above and beyond for the students in their care. It will take me some time for me to get to know the names of all the students, however, all the students I have met have been well-mannered, friendly and happy and (mostly) glad to be back at school.
We welcome the following new staff:
- Jessica Buchanan – RE/English
- Anna Cusack - Learning Support Assistant
- Clare Grantham - LOTE/Library
- John Krakue – Science/Maths
- Amy Mergard - Chaplain/Aboriginal Education Worker
- Melissa Noakes - Front Office
- Simon Quinn - RE/HSIE
- Kathryn Willis - Front Office
- Lucy Woods- PE/Maths
We also welcome many new students to the College this year from Years 7 - 11. We have new students across years 8, 9, 10 and 11 as well as 103 new Year 7 students.
This year we will be celebrating the 20th Anniversary of Hennessy Catholic College. The opportunity for students across the region to receive a Year 7- 12 Catholic education is quite a unique one and we need to celebrate this - watch this space for more details.
Last night many parents took up the opportunity to attend the Elevate Parent Study Seminar. All students will also participate in study seminars this week. Feedback has been very positive from parents and students. Study skills can definitely be improved and if home and school work together this is more effective and easier.
The Year 7 Meet and Greet is to be held from 6:00 pm next Tuesday. This is a great chance to get to know the Hennessy staff and to meet other Year 7 parents.
2020 is off to a great start. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you are concerned about anything or just if you would like to introduce yourself. My email is email@example.com
It’s great to see so many happy faces over the past two days – ready for a fresh start in 2020. We are continuing to develop all the great things started last year including our teaching cycle and writing strategy. At Hennessy we expect 5 quality lessons every day with students having time to get teacher assistance during each class to help their learning. As such, all mobile phones must be placed in the box at the front of the classroom for every lesson (not in bags). This includes study sessions. If students don’t want to do this, they should leave their phones at home. The only exceptions are for medical issues and if they are needed for a learning activity. This has been explained to students today.
There are lots of different useful technology to assist students.
- ATOMI - Year 11 and 12 only – all Year 11 students have been sent an invitation today to join ATOMI. ATOMI have short revision video clips that are specifically geared to the NSW syllabi and a great tool for study and revision.
- Elevate Education – students in Years 8-12 have had a session with elevate about study skills and time management. They will have a link to resources they can use if they need extra help at home.
- Education Perfect – all Year 7 -10 will have access to Education Perfect again this year. Accounts are currently being set up.
- Turnitin – Years 11 and 12 ONLY – this is a similarity checker for students for Stage 6 submission.
- Google classroom and the GAFE suite.
There have been a few issues that have stopped students logging in – this will be fixed as soon as possible.
While CORE classes in Years 7-10 will remain unchanged; students in Years 9,10 and 11 may change their electives up until the end of Week 3. To do this they need to collect a form from my office door and have it signed by parents and KLA Leaders. They then need to return this to me personally and wait for Compass to change. If a place isn’t available, they will be placed on a waitlist. I appreciate everyone’s patience here!
NEW TEACHING STAFF AT HCCY 2020
Welcome to our new teachers for 2020 – we have been very fortunate to have you join us.
- Mr Simon Quinn – HSIE/RE
- Miss Jessica Buchanan – English/RE
- Mr John Krakue – Science/Maths
- Miss Zoe Lynch – Science/Maths/TAS
- Miss Lucy Woods – PDHPE/Maths
- Miss Clare Grantham – French
Staff emails are firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be updating the list on the Website shortly.
Our KLA Leaders are:
- Religious Education – Miss Devlin
- English/LOTE – Ms Stadtmiller
- Maths – Ms Carberry
- Science – Ms Keith
- HSIE – Ms Jasprizza
- TAS/VET – Mr Schmidt
- PDHPE – Mrs McCann/Mrs Dunk
- CAPA – Mrs McLachlan
- Diverse Learning Needs – Mrs Cullen
We appreciate that all communication is respectful and productive as we work in partnership with you and your child.
YEAR 11 – SAVE THE DATE
Letters went home yesterday with Year 11 students about the Information Night. This is on Monday 6th February starting at 6.30pm in the College Hall. It’s very important Year 11 students attend if possible with their parents.
COMPASS PARENT PORTAL NOW OPEN
Please note the parent portal is now open for you to see your child’s timetable each day and some relevant notifications will also be visible. New parents will be given information next week at the Meet and Greet evening on Tuesday night.
Looking forward to a great year.
SHARON HIBBERT | Assistant Principal - Teaching and Learning
ANDREW FOURACRE | Director of Studies
This morning I challenged the students to seek ways in which they can individually support the College’s 2020 theme of “Act Justly”. As a College we Act Justly on a global scale with our Cambodia Experience and donating over $5000 in 2019 to the Ration Challenge. We support national charities such as the St. Vincent de Paul and Movember. We are involved locally with our Dine and Donate Dinners and work with local charities. While we will continue to support these causes , this years challenge is for the students to seek avenues where they can personally Act Justly.
Your child’s Pastoral Care (PC) teacher will be in contact with you shortly and share their contact details. The PC teacher is the first point of call for any of your concerns. We welcome Mr Luke Miller in to his role as Gallagher House Leader. We also officially welcome back Mrs Jorja McGrath on her return to the McAuley House Leader. The role of McAuley House Leader will be filled by Mrs Janice Dunk.
Wellbeing Team 2020
Mark Chifley - Assistant Principal Mission and Wellbeing -– email@example.com
Jess Mcinerney - Director of Students -– firstname.lastname@example.org
Luke Miller - Gallagher House Leader –- email@example.com
Jorja McGrath - McAuley House Leader (Monday-Wednesday and Friday)–– firstname.lastname@example.org
Janice Dunk - McAuley House Leader – (Thursday) –– email@example.com
Emily Nowlan - Nagle House Leader- – firstname.lastname@example.org
Marie Payne - Rice House Leader –– email@example.com
In 2020 the Wellbeing Team will be putting together the Colleges Wellbeing Framework. The Framework will work alongside the Teaching and Learning Cycle implemented last year to support students in their learning. The Framework will be available for student, staff and parent comment.
The Wellbeing Team look forward to working with you across the year.
- TUESDAY 4th FEB - Year 7 Parent Meet & Greet Evening - 6pm Parish Lawn
- WEDNESDAY 5th FEB - Cambodia Meeting - 6pm E10\
- FRIDAY 7th FEB - College Swimming Carnival
- MON 10th FEB - Year 11 Information Evening
- TUES 11th to WED 12th Feb - Yr 11 Retreat
- TUES 11th FEB - Boorowa Community BBQ
- WED 12th FEB - Harden Community BBQ
- MON 17th FEB - Cootamundra Community BBQ
- THURS 20th FEB - College Opening Mass
- TUES 25th FEB - Arch Dio Swimming
- THURS 27th FEB - Photo Day
The college is holding its annual Swimming Carnival next Friday 7th Feburary at the Young Community Pool.
Students are permitted to go directly to the pool. We request if they are going home directly from the pool at the conclusion of the carnival that they bring a note for their PC teacher.
Students are permitted to wear casual clothing in their house colours. If they do now own clothing in their house colours they are required to wear sports uniform.